Geology Alumni Association
Geology Graduate Student Organization
Student Environmental Association
Tampa Bay Assocation of Environmental Professionals
Eruption! Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat
Welcome to the School of Geosciences at the University of South Florida. Our mission is to provide our students with an outstanding education in the Geosciences that will prepare them to work as professionals and to address major questions about our environment and natural resources. Our faculty lead the academic community in exploration of a wide range of global earth science questions and challenges. Our graduate students participate in this research, pursuing projects all over the world in a variety of disciplines, including atmospheric sciences, coastal studies, geochemistry, geodesy, geophysics, geographic information science (GIScience), hydrogeology and water resource management, karst studies, natural hazards, paleo-environmental science, seismology,
tectonics, volcanology, and more. We offer BA, BS, MS and PhD degrees in Geology, Geography, and Environmental Science and Policy.
* * * * News Headlines and Upcoming Events * * * *
- The School of Geosciences, the Geology Alumni Society and the Southwest Florida Water Management District are pleased to announce the Spring 2016 Professional Science Masters Symposium. (more details...)
- The School of Geosciences and the Geology Alumni Society are pleased to announce the GAS Equipment Expo on April 27, 2016 at USF GeoPark from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a full-time Fiscal & Business Specialist to work with the office manager, research administrators and the business office on the Department's travel and purchasing expenses and reporting. (Read more ...)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a full-time Academic Program Specialist to work with the office manager, graduate directors, undergraduate advisor, faculty and graduate students to support the Department's five graduate degree programs - the PhD in Geology, the PhD in Geography and Environmental Science & Policy, the MS programs in Geology and ESP and the MA in Geography. (Read more ...)
- Congratulations to doctoral student Lis Gallant for winning a prestigious Outstanding Student Paper Award at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the American Geophysical Union. Ms. Gallant is working towards her PhD in Geology and her presentation was titled "Lava flow hazard assessment for the Idaho National Laboratory: a probabilistic approach to modeling lava flow inundation with MOLASSES." (Read more ...)
- USF geoscience faculty are working with the Nicaraguan government to investigate the Momotombo and Masaya volcanoes. (Read more ...)
- The 16th Annual USF Geology Alumni Society Banquet will be on February 27, 2016 on the USF campus. This is a fund-raising event to benefit the Richard A. Davis, Jr. Endowed Fellowship in Geology, the Sam Upchurch Field School Scholarship Fund and the GAS Field School Endowment. (Read more...)
- USF Professor Matt Pasek, USF researcher Maheen Gull and their colleagues at Georgia Institute of Technology study the possibility that meteorites carried minerals to the early earth that reacted with water and provided an essential chemical for life to exist on earth. See the EurekAlert! posting here.
- Congratulations to USF geophysicists Tim Dixon and Rocco Malservisi for their new NSF grant on Measuring Sea Floor Motion: New Technology for Continental Margin Geodesy. This important research will lead to new technology to measure sea floor motion and strain accumulation which could lead to better prediction of earthquakes and tsunamis. (read more)
- The GGSO Holiday Party will be on Friday, December 11, 2015 at 6:00 pm at The Yuengling Brewery. (Read more...)
- The Center for Virtualization and Applied Spatial Technologies (CVAST) is seeking a full-time, tenure-earning Assistant Professor of Social Science (history, archaeology or sociology). (Read more ...)
- The Center for Virtualization and Applied Spatial Technologies (CVAST) is seeking a full-time, tenure-earning Assistant Professor of Digital Science (Geosciences, Paleontology or related discipline). (Read more...)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Jessica N. Wilson as Stable Isotope Lab Manager. (more details...)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Dr. Zhongwei Liu as Visiting Instructor GIScience for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016.
- Join the Geoscience faculty, students, staff and guests for Coffee Hour - When: Mondays at 9:30 - 10:30 am Where: Science Center Break Room (SCA 512) - All are invited! Hosted by the Geology Grad Student Organization (GGSO).
- Students, faculty, staff and guests are invited to the Fall 2015 Rockbreaker hosted by the Geology Alumni Society for the geoscience community. Save the Date: Friday, September 11, 2015 (more details...)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a full-time Visiting Instructor - GIScience to teach general and applied GIScience courses. (Read more)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a full-time Unit Research Administrator to work with the faculty regarding their research projects, grants and proposals. (Read more)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Jason D. Gulley as Assistant Professor (hydrogeology). (Read more)
- Congratulations to meteorology professor Dr. Jennifer Collins for receiving the Kosove Distinguished Graduate Teaching and Services Award 2015. (Read more...)
- Google honors seismologist and geophysicist Inge Lehmann. See the Google posting here and read about the Danish scientist who discovered the Earth's inner core.
- Professor Lori Collins from the Alliance for Integrated Spatial Technologies is giving a talk on 3D Imaging Technologies for Archaeology at the upcoming Pint of Science event at the Tampa Tap Room on Monday, May 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm. (read more...)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a full-time Academic Program Specialist to work with the prospective students, graduate students and faculty. (read more...)
- Summer Field School Fundraiser -- BBQ/CURRY-Q LUNCH SALE (Sat 4-25)-- Tickets on sale now until Wednesday (4-22). Do not delay! (more details ....)i
- Congratulations to Geosciences MS student Heather Key for being the recipient of the West Central Florida Chapter of the American Meteorological Society's 2015 Dewey Stowers Merit Award. (read more...)
- Business Expert Rocks her Passions -- Eileen Rodriguez (1987 Alum) featured in Alumni Voice, 2015 Spring Issue. Way to go Eileen!
- USF seismology student Heather McFarlin and research colleagues from Boise State University just returned from an international workshop in Chile where they were studying the March 3, 2015 eruption of Villarrica Volcano. (read more...)
- Congratulations to doctoral student Mary Njoroge for her travel grant from the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics to attend the 26th IUGG General Assembly in Prague, Czech Republic from June 22 - July 2, 2015. (Read more...)
- The School of Geosciences, the Geology Alumni Society and the Southwest Florida Water Management District are pleased to announce the Spring 2015 Professional Science Masters Symposium. (more details...)
- Take a 3 credit course in Summer A and submit a research proposal this year. All College of Arts & Sciences Graduate Students are invited to register for the CAS Research & Scholarship office's Graduate Grantsmanship Course. (Read more)
- USF Geoscientists Tim Dixon, Rocco Malservisi, Nick Voss, Surui Xie, Jacob Richardson and their international colleagues just returned from a successful field research experience studying volcano hazards in Colombia. (Read more)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Dr. Kai Rains to The Water Institute. (Read more)
- Geoscience students, faculty, staff and guests invited to first annual USF STEAM event - featuring interdisciplinary research on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math. USF STEAM will take place on Friday, March 13, 2015. (read more)
- Congratulations to USF geochemist Matthew Pasek for his two new NASA grants. (read more)
- Congratulations to Lyle Garong for receiving the 2014 Withlacoochee Rockhounds Scholarship. (read more)
- Congratulations to Jacob 'The Bobcat' Richardson and Cassandra Smith for receiving the 2014 Richard A. Davis Endowed Fellowship awards. (read more)
- Congratulations to USF geophysicist Sarah Kruse for her Nebraska Department of Natural Resources grant. (read more)
- Congratulations to MS student Emeli Sandoval for her $500.00 scholarship awarded by the Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association. (read more)
- Congratulations to doctoral student Ophelia George and the Geosciences volcanology group for their paper "A High-resolution Ground-Based Magnetic Survey of a Buried Volcano" in Statistics in Volcanology.
- Congratulations to USF Prof. Mark Rains for his research award from Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD). (read more)
- USF Prof. Jennifer Collins, FIT Prof. Steven Lazarus and UCAR Unidata are hosting a workshop on the Integrated Data Viewer (IDV) on April 10 - 12, 2015. In addition to atmospheric science data, the IDV has facilities to display and analyze data sets of interest to those working in hydrologic, solid earth and GIS fields, among others. (read more)
- Congratulations to doctoral student Makan Abdollahzadeh for his NASA Earth Surface Interior Program grant that uses satellite data to better understand groundwater depletion in the South and Southwestern US. (read more)
- New geoscience instrument will be permanently installed in Greenland to help monitor global warming. (read more)
- A PBS NOVA special called Sinkholes: Buried Alive features geologic activity in west central Florida. (read more)
- The 15th Annual USF Geology Alumni Society Banquet will be on February 21, 2015 on the USF campus. This is a fund-raising event to benefit the Richard A. Davis, Jr. Endowed Fellowship in Geology, the Sam Upchurch Field School Scholarship Fund and the GAS Field School Endowment. (read more...)
- Please enjoy the USF Geology Alumni Society's second issue of Into the Field, a newsletter dedicated to promoting the vitality of the USF Geology Field School Program.
- Introducing the 2015 School of Geosciences t-shirt. These are green t-shirts with the Geosciences logo and short sleeves. They are $15.00 each to benefit the Geology Grad Student Organization (GGSO). (click here for details)
- The School of Geosciences Fall 2014 Commencement Reception will be on Friday, December 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm in the Geoscience Lobby, Environmental Science Building (NES), Second Floor. (read more...)
- The GGSO Holiday Party will be on Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm at The Yuengling Brewery. (read more...)
- Congratulations to USF scientists Tim Dixon, Rocco Malservisi, and Nicholas Voss on their paper on earthquakes and tsunamis published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. (read more...)
- The School of Geosciences, the Geology Alumni Society and the Southwest Florida Water Management District are pleased to announce the Fall 2014 Professional Science Masters Symposium. (more details...)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a physical hydrologist or hydrogeologist for a tenure-track position starting August, 2015. (more details...)
- Geology course taught by professor zoomcasting from research vessel at sea (more details...)
- USF Geosciences and the University of Colima, Mexico will exchange volcanology students with support from a 100,000 Strong in the Americas innovation fund grant. (more details...)
- Fall 2014 Rockbreaker Event - Meet Geology Alumni and honor the retirement of Prof. Mark Stewart! Save the Date: Friday, Oct. 24th (more details...)
- Professor at Sea on WUSF's University Beat. Dr. Jeff Ryan's voyage as geochemist on the Research Vessel JOIDES Resolution is presented on WUSF Public Media. (read more)
- Teaching workshop on Sustainability and Sustainable Development held June 23 - July 2, 2014, facilitated by Dr. Fenda A. Akiwumi. (read more)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Sylvain Charbonnier as Assistant Professor (Physical Volcanology) (Read more)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Aurélie Germa as Assistant Professor (Physical Volcanology) (Read more)
- Dr. Herbert Maschner will be visiting USF from Idaho State University (ISU), Presentation and Reception – Thursday, August 21, 2014, Interdisciplinary Science Building (ISA) 7 th Floor 4:30 PM (flyer with abstract)
- USF Geosciences is hosting a live zoomcast from Research Vessel JOIDES Resolution drilling into ocean floor on Wednesday, August 20 at 9:00 am. (read more...)
- Read Prof. Jeff Ryan's blog about his two month voyage as geochemist on the Research Vessel JOIDES Resolution.
- USF Geosciences doctoral student Ophelia George has received a McKnight Dissertation Fellowship and COCONet Graduate Student Fellowship to develop her dissertation research. (read more...)
- Congratulations to USF post-doctoral fellow Maheen Gull for her article on Prebiotic Phosphorylation Reactions on the Early Earth. (read more ...)
- Congratulations to USF scientists Aurélie Germa, Rocco Malservisi, Laura Connor and Chuck Connor on their new NSF award titled "Dynamic Statistical Models to Improve Long-term Volcanic Hazard Assessments." (read more...)
- USF scientists Jacob Richardson, Chuck Connor and Laura Connor are teaming up with the planetary geologists at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center to discover how hundreds of small volcanoes across Mars fit into Martian history and how they relate to the giant volcanoes that make up a region known as the Tharsis Bulge. (read more...)
- Congratulations to Kaitlin Deutsch, one of three USF undergraduates who will receive a Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship this year. Kaitlin is a double major in Biology and Environmental Science and Policy. The Goldwater Scholarship program is fiercely competitive and is the most pretigious undergraduate award for science and research. See the USF Magazine Summer 2014 edition for the complete story.
- Roy Price (PhD Geology 1999) traveled with the HYDROPRONY research group on a field expedition to test whether deep ocean vents can produce organic compounds without any biological influence. Read about this interesting research at AstroBiology Magazine.
- Professor Ping Wang has been awarded a Florida Department of Environmental Protection grant to study barrier-island beaches and tidal inlets in Florida. (read more...)
- Professor Jeffrey G. Ryan, Chair of the School of Geosciences, is involved in a very interesting project that will take him far away from USF for August and September. He is participating in an International Ocean Discovery Program cruise on a laboratory ship that will drill into the ocean floor near Japan. (read more...)
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Mandy K. Stuck as Academic Program Specialist for Geology. Mandy is seriously enthused about working with the faculty and students in Geoscience and learning more about the enormous rock in the Environmental Science Building lobby.
- The School of Geosciences is very pleased to welcome Danny Lindsay as Teaching Lab Manager. Danny has a BS in Geology from USF and will be assisting with the teaching labs, managing the teaching collections and assisting with the summer field camps.
- The School of Geosciences's Commencement Reception and Spring Picnic will take place on Saturday, May 3 at Riverfront Park. (read more...)
- The School of Geosciences is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Physical Volcanology with an emphasis on hazard assessment. See the posting for more information.
- The Geology Alumni Society is hosting a panel discussion of earth science professionals for students majoring in geology or environmental science and policy. (read more...)
- The Honor Societies of Gamma Theta Upsilon and Sigma Gamma Epsilon welcome USF students who have qualified as members. (read more...)
- Congratulations to Dr. Graham Tobin, recipient of the Distinguished Service Award for his outstanding contributions and service to the former USF Department of Geography and to the field of Geography. (read more...)
- Congratulations to Dr. Matt Pasek for receiving funding from NASA’s NSPIRES program to study the role of phosphorous in the origin of life on Earth and to analyze similar organic-phosphate materials to identify chemical signs of life on Jupiter's moon Europa.
- USF School of Geosciences Ranked #69 by U.S. News and World Report!
- Florida's past hurricane record: presentation on Tuesday March 25 (more details...)
- Pterosaurs: Old bones, new technology Dr. Brian Andres speaks in the AVC on March 26 (click here for details...)
- AAG Preconference Meeting, Political Geography Specialty Group: Marshall Center, April 7. (More details...)
- The Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting to be held in Tampa - April 8-12, 2014
(more details ....)
- 2014 Service Day in the Geo Park - Save the date: Saturday, March 22, 12 - 4 pm (more details...)
- Upcoming event for PhD candidates -- Interdisciplinary Dissertation Forum -- When: Friday, March 7, 9am - 4pm (more details ...)
- Breaking news: AIST team digitally preserving NASA launch pad. Check out the AIST website for the complete story!
- Now is the time to reserve your seat for the 2014 Geology Alumni Association (GAS) Annual Banquet. Don't delay! Seating is limited! Students, this event will allow you to meet professionals in your field; please contact Dr. Len Vacher if you are interested in attending and do not have a sponsor. (More info ....)
- The Florida Society of Geographers (FSG) Annual Meeting is being held in Orlando, FL, February 7-9, 2014
(more details ....)
- Check out the inaugural issue of Into the Field, a newsletter published by the USF Geology Alumni Society!
- Save the date for the annual USF GAS Banquet! - When: Satuday, February 8, 2014 - Where: Traditions Hall, USF Tampa Campus. Follow this link, for more information ....
- USF Geoscientist, Brian Andres, names two new species of Pterosaur. Read all about it ...
- NOAA Preserve Initiative - Dr. Jennifer Collins, NOAA Hurricane Hunters and NWS team up to sponsor the preservation of historical records and data on Tampa Bay storms. Their display is located in the USF Library Learning Commons. (Read all about it ...)
- School of Geosciences Holiday Party - When: Friday, Dec 6 - Celebrate with us and enjoy delicious food and drinks! (more details ....)
- Fall 2013 Rockbreaker Event - Meet Geology Alumni! Save the Date: Friday, Oct. 18th (more details...)
- School of Geosciences Open House - Wednesday, Oct. 16th - All are invited!
- Geology students: Interview with Exxon-Mobil - on campus, Oct 14 - 16. See Dawn McGowan (GeoSci Office Manager) for details!