Office: NES 316
- Ph.D., University College London, United Kingdom
- B.Sc., Lancaster University, United Kingdom
- GEO 1930 Geography of Current Events
- GEO 2200 (3013) Introduction to Physical Geography
- GEO 2371 Introduction to Earth System Science
- MET 4002C Climatology
- MET 4012C Meteorology
- EVR 4930 Weather Studies
- GEO 6255 Weather, Climate, & Society
- GEO 6970 Geographic Research design
Dr. Jennifer Collins is an Associate Professor in the School of Geosciences at the University of South Florida. Her research focuses on weather and climate. As a hurricane researcher, Dr. Collins is interested in the interaction between large scale climatic patterns such as the El Niño – Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and the Madden – Julian Oscillation and seasonal patterns of tropical cyclone activity in multiple oceanic basins. She is currently studying the environmental factors influencing the interannual variation of hurricane numbers in the Northeast Pacific and she is examining relationships between hurricane numbers in the Atlantic versus those in part of the Northeast Pacific ocean basin. She is also investigating sea surface temperatures in the Pacific using a new sea surface temperature change parameter and relating this to Atlantic hurricane activity. This work is being extended to other ocean basins. As well as her work in the physical sciences she also works in the social sciences as she examines human behavior relating to hurricane evacuation. In addition to her hurricane work, Dr. Collins works in other areas related to weather, climate and hazards. She works closely on projects with the National Weather Service involving tornadoes and fog. In addition, she collaborates with international researchers and works in the area of climate change. She is currently examining temperature changes in South America and Africa. Dr. Collins is the President of the West Central Florida Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, Chair of the Climate Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers and serves on the National Weather Association’s Specialized Operations Committee on Tropical Cyclones.
Saurav Chakraborty, Kerri Dickey, Daniel Gessman, Leilani Paxton, David Roache, Michelle Saunders
Recent Journal Articles
- Yoo, J., J.M. Collins and R. Rohli, 2014: An Investigation of the Tropical Cyclogenesis of Arlene (2005) Using the ERA-Interim Reanalysis and the WRF Model Simulation. The Professional Geographer. (Accepted April 2014).
- Collins, J.M. and P. Flaherty, 2014: NOAA Hurricane Hunters. Florida Geographer. (Accepted pending minor revisions, February, 2014).
- Mazza Schoonard, C., J.M. Collins, C. Paxton and C. Meindl, 2014: Variations in Rainfall Patterns and Amounts in Pinellas County, FL. Physical Geography, 35 (2). (Accepted, February 2014)
- Roberts, K., J.M. Collins, C. Paxton, R. Hardy and J. Downs, 2014: Weather patterns associated with green turtle hypothermic stunning events in St. Joseph Bay and Mosquito Lagoon, FL Physical Geography. (Accepted, February 2014)
- Collins, J.M. and P. Flaherty, 2014: Keeping an 'eye' on tropical research data: The NOAA Hurricane Hunters, their missions and their recent work with the University of South Florida to archive historical information. (Accepted in The Florida Geographer, 2014).
- Yoo, J., J.M. Collins and R. Rohli, 2014: Tropical Cyclogenesis in the Intra-Americas Sea: Hurricane Cindy (2005). Professional Geographer, 66, 511-524. DOI: 10.1080/00330124.2013.805628
- Collins, Jennifer. “Climatology.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Geography. Ed. Barney Warf. New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming (Accepted, 2013).
- Lazarus, S, J.M. Collins, M.A. Baxter, A. T. Case Hanks, T. M. Whittaker; K. R. Tyle; S. F. Cecelski; B. Geerts; M. K. Ramamurthy, Ph. D 2012: 2012 Unidata Users Workshop Navigating Earth System Science Data. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 94, ES136–ES143.
- Collins, J.M., D.R. Roache, E.W. Kopp IV, D. Lunsford, 2012: Temperature Variability over Antarctica. 35th volume of the Papers of the Applied Geography Conferences. 412-420.
- Roache, D., J.M. Collins, C. Mazza and M. Bolton, 2012: Rainfall and Severe Weather Influences in Pinellas County, Florida. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (Chapter Channel section), 93 (5), 603-605. (Editorially Reviewed)
- Collins, J.M., 2011: Temperature Variability over Africa. Journal of Climate, 24, 3649-3666.
- Collins, J.M. and D.R. Roache, 2011: The 2009 Hurricane Season in the Eastern North Pacific Basin: An Analysis of Environmental Conditions. Monthly Weather Review, 139 (6), 1673-1682.
- Collins, J.M. and D.R. Roache, 2010: The Inactive 2009 Hurricane Season in the North Atlantic Basin: An Analysis of Environmental Conditions. National Weather Digest, 34 (2), 117-128.
- Collins, J.M., 2010: Contrasting High North-East Pacific Tropical Cyclone Activity with Low North Atlantic Activity. Southeastern Geographer, 50 (1), 83-98.