Office: SCA 507
Lab: SCA 508
Email (alt): ryan.mail.usf.edu
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1989
Blog about my voyage on the Research Vessel JOIDES Resolution August - September 2014
Geochemistry and Petrology of Subduction Zones, Modern and Ancient. Geochemical Evolution of the Earth's Mantle. Petrogenesis of Ultramafic Rocks. Appalachian Geology and Tectonics. Meteoritic/Planetary Geochemistry.
Christy Bebeau, Mary Beck, Meghan Cook, Stephanie Drumm, Ray Johnston, Antonio Luna, Anita Marshall, Keir Sanatan
Petrology, Geochemistry, and Geoscience Education
- Ryan, J.G., (2013) Embedding research practice activities into earth and planetary science courses through the use of remotely operable analytical instrumentation: interventions, and impacts on student perceptions and activities Tong, V. (ed). Geoscience Research and Education: Teaching at Universities. New York, Springer Verlag., p. 149-162.
- Ryan, J.G. and Chauvel, C., (2013), “The Subduction Zone Conveyor and the Impact of Recycled Materials on the Evolution of the Mantle.” Chapter 3.13: The Mantle and Core (Carlson, R. Ed.), Treatise on Geochemistry, Second Edition p. 479-508.
- Walker, J.A., A. Teipel, J.G. Ryan, and E. Syracuse (2009) Light elements and Li isotopes across the northern portion of the Central American subduction zone. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 10, Q06S16, doi:10.1029/2009GC002414
- Peterson, V.L., J.G. Ryan, and the 1997-1998 REU Site Program Participants (2008) Geochemistry and petrogenesis of the Buck Creek mafic/ultramafic complex, western North Carolina. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 129, pp. 615-629.
- Savov, I.P., J.G. Ryan, P. Fryer, and M. D'Antonio (2005) Geochemistry of serpentinites from the Mariana forearc - Conical Seamount, ODP Leg 125: describing fluid-mediated slab additions. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems vol. 6, Q04J15 DOI10.1029/2004GC000777.
- Savov, I.P., S. Guggino, J.G. Ryan, P. Fryer, and M. Mottl (2005) Geochemistry of serpentine muds and metamorphic rocks from the Mariana Forearc, ODP Sites 1200 and 778 -779, S.Chamorro and Conical seamounts. ODP Scientific Results, volume 195.
- Ryan, J.G. and Kyle, P.R., (2004) Lithium and lithium isotope variations in intraplate mantle sources: insights from McMurdo Group lavas (Mt. Erebus) and other intraplate volcanic rocks. Chemical Geology, v. 212, pp 125-142.
- Benton, L., J.G. Ryan, and I. Savov (2004) Lithium abundance and isotope systematics of forearc serpentinites, Conical Seamount, Mariana forearc: Insights into the mechanisms of slab/mantle exchange during subduction. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, v. 5, 10.1029/2004GC000708.
- Lang, H., Lee, A., Peterson, V. and J.G. Ryan (2004) Coexisting clinpyroxene/spinel and amphibole/spinel symplectites in metatroctolites from the Buck Creek ultramafic body, North Carolina Blue Ridge, USA. American Mineralogist, v. 89, pp. 20-30.