Office: SCA 213
Ph.D., Columbia University, N.Y., NY, 1985.
B.A., Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1977.
1984-1991 California Division of Mines and Geology, Sacramento, California
1991-2012 University of Alaska Fairbanks
2012-presnt University of South Florida
Steve McNutt is a volcano seismologist who worked half time for the Alaska Volcano Observatory from 1991-2012. He coordinates volcano seismology research for the Department of Geosciences at USF with Research Assistant Professors Glenn Thompson and Jochen Braunmiller. He presently supervises three PhD students. His research interests include: 1) studies of source and propagation effects for volcanic tremor, low-frequency events, and explosion earthquakes; 2) volcanic hazards assessments in Alaska, California, and Central America; 3) the mechanical behavior of volcanoes, including periodicity of eruptions, and the effects of earth tides, sea level variations, and tectonic stresses on triggering eruptive activity; 4) volcano infrasound; and 5) volcanic lightning. From July 1999 to July 2007 he served as Secretary-General for the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior.
Alexandra Farrell, Heather McFarlin, Cassandra Smith
Volcano Seismology, Infrasound, Lightning
- Smith, C. M. and McNutt, S. R., Explosion Earthquakes during the 2007 Eruption of Pavlof Volcano, Alaska, 26th IUGG General Assembly, Prague, June 22-July 2, 2015.
- McNutt, S. and S. Behnke, Determining eruption onsets from geophysical data: What we know and when we know it, 26th IUGG General Assembly, Prague, June 22-July 2, 2015.
- McNutt, S., A. Farrell and H. McFarlin, Attenuation and Q-values in the crust and upper mantle beneath Uturuncu Volcano, Bolivia, 26th IUGG General Assembly, Prague, June 22-July 2, 2015.
- McNutt, S., E.Venzke, and E Williams, Volcanic Lightning: Updated global observations and constraints on source mechanisms, 26th IUGG General Assembly, Prague, June 22-July 2, 2015.
- McNutt, S.R. and C.B. Connor, Anticipated Seismicity Preceding and Accompanying VEI 7 and 8 Volcanic Eruptions, International Conference on Volcanoes, Climate, and Society (7 - 11 April 2015), Bern, Switzerland, 2015.
- DeRoin, N., S.R. McNutt, and G. Thompson, Duration-Amplitude Relationships of Volcanic Tremor and Earthquake Swarms Preceding and During the 2009 Eruption of Redoubt Volcano, Alaska. J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., v. 292, p. 56-69, 2015.
- Genareau, K., J.B Wardman, T.M Wilson, S.R. McNutt, P. Izbekov, Lightning-Induced Volcanic Spherules. Geology, 2015, doi:10.1130/G36255.1.
- McNutt, S.R. and D. Roman, Volcanic Seismicity, Chapter 59 of Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, 2nd Edition, Sigurdsson, H., B. Houghton, S.R. McNutt, H. Rymer, and J. Stix (eds.), Elsevier, London, p. 1011-1034, 2015.
- McNutt, S.R. and R.J. Thomas, Volcanic Lightning. Chapter 62 of Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, 2nd Edition, Sigurdsson, H., B. Houghton, S.R. McNutt, H. Rymer, and J. Stix (eds.), Elsevier, London, p. 1059-1076, 2015.
- McNutt, S.R., G. Thompson, J. Johnson, S. De Angelis, and D. Fee, Seismic and Infrasonic Monitoring, Chapter 63 of Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, 2nd Edition, Sigurdsson, H., B. Houghton, S.R. McNutt, H. Rymer, and J. Stix (eds.), Elsevier, p.1071-1099, 2015.